Friday 16 December 2011

Style file: Mary-Kate Olsen


"When I'm asked to name a contemporary icon, I always say that is a contradiction in terms because the iconic status is created by posterity. Mary-Kate is a rare exception to my rule, with her, you already know that future generations will look at her as an icon."
- Margherita Missoni.



I adore both of the Olsens slight off kilter fashion choices, but Mary-Kate has always been my favourite. Purely because she is the twin that pushes boundaries that little bit more.
She is known for her eclectic style, wearing vintage kimono's with a pair of jeans, millions of rings and the one thing all girls covet - her trademark messy wavy blonde hair.

I have always had a affinity with Mary-Kate Olsen, I've always felt there is something vulnerable about her, and that both her and Ashley like to keep themselves to themselves, leaving us, the fans always wanting more. The book 'Influence' gave a small insight on how their thought process works. Showing us small glimpses into their ever growing wardrobes.

I love the air of mystery surrounding her, only catching glimpses of her when she's walking down the street or having a cheeky cigarette. The twins aren't very open with their lives. You only know what you see, and even then I always wonder the thought process behind the outfit they are wearing, what influenced them.

 

(Shot by Terry Richardson for 'Influence')

Here are is a very minute selection of my favourite photographs of both Ashley and Mary-Kate:

I will always have a fascination with Mary-Kate and Ashley, and I will always be searching for that perfect velvet jacket she is wearing or the floor length gold sequin gown.  






No comments: